Handy Island

Handy Island
"The Air War Finds A Handy South Atlantic Island" was the caption on this Peter Hurd painting of Ascension Island, from Life Magazine, April 1945. It was the only place for pilots to refuel between Natal and West Africa.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Can You Identify These Men?

I've had several requests from readers, asking if I have photos of any of their family members who served on Ascension during World War II.  I do have some photos of people I can't identify:  so here is a group to look through, and see if you can spot anyone you know.  (To enlarge the photos, just double click on them.)


   Above is a group from Ascension, the only one of which I can identify is my father, standing at photo left.

... Sometimes the phtographers asked a group of Alabama men to pose together, sometimes they were photographed in platoons or companies.  All the photos had to be approved by censors.  If you know anyone in the above photo, let me know.   I have two more for you ...


It is difficult to identify anyone with those helmets covering the faces in this next phot, but I think that is Capt. Raymond Kidd there in front.  I can't spot anyone else among my father's friends in this group.  Let me know if you can identify anyone here.

Finally here is a third group photo.  I'm pretty sure, after using a magnifying glass on it, that my father is standing front row left. He was then Captain Ashley Chapman.  Can't ID the rest.  Once again, go to the comments below and let me know if you spot anyone you know.

You have to admit, that landscape on Ascension Island has its own special quality.



No comments:

Post a Comment